Friday, November 20, 2009

Reflections: Week 9 and 10

Week 9
This week we learned about advocacy. We started our new blog series of blogs which is the advocacy project. For this I found out who my political representatives were, and read about advocacy. This was a good assigment for me because I had no idea who a lot of my representatives were or how to contact them. kinda sad, but true!  During class we split into groups to help explain advocacy better.
My Eco-chic lifestyle change didn't go very well this week. I forgot my reusable bags both time I went to the grocery store!


Week 10
This week I had another blog for my advocacy project. I chose a Healthy People goal, which was "Promote Health and Reduce Chronic Disease Associated with Diet and Weight." The objective I chose:19-3 Reduce the proportion of children and adolescents who are overweight or obese. The sub-objective I chose: 19-3c Children and adolescents aged 6 to 19.
In class we watched the the video "Unnatural Causes". It's really sad how money can have such a affect on life expectancy. And that the U.S. spends around 2 trillion dollars on med care and there are still so many people suffering and dieing from preventable illness. I couldn't beleive that in certain areas of the U.S. the age at which people die can be assumed and is normal under the average life expectancy. The study on monkeys was also fascinating to me. How the monkeys that were more stressed had much more plaque build up in there hearts than the dominant monkey of the group.


3 comments:

  1. I also really liked learning about my political representatives. I'm right there with ya in saying that I really didn't know many of them or how to contact them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The monkey was interesting to me too, it definitely make sense though!

    ReplyDelete