Sunday, November 29, 2009

Eye Opener: Photo Essay


Hey Everyone! For my photo eassay I decided to document how much waste a family can accumulate during just one holiday. It was sad to see how much gets thrown away, I had never really taken the time to notice. There could have been better choices made that would have been more environmentally friendly.  I obviously chose Thanksgiving and there were about 20 of us.

Here the first bag of trash that was being taken out at only about 11 am.


These are two aluminum pans being thrown away that were used to cook the dressing. This was a time that I thought reusable pans could have been just as easily used, and would have been much more environmentally friendly.

This is a stack of plates that were used for the appitizers. On multiple occasions I noticed people setting their first plate down, and without thinking grab another plate later. Accumulating even more unnecessary waste.
This is yet another stack of plates, but from dessert. We went through a lot of paper plates.
This is a picture of the garbage can at the end of the night. There had been two bags in it before, but as you can see it was overflowing by the end of the night

This was a fun project to do! Everyone was asking why I was taking pictures of the trash, so when I explained that I was documenting how much trash one family can go through for just one holiday it helped open other people's eyes to this problem. I hope that at Christmas we can make some better decisions.


MckLinky Blog Hop

MckLinky Blog Hop

3 comments:

  1. Your photo essay was a really good idea! I know that my family accumulate a lot of trash over Thanksgiving too! Definitely makes me want to change some things about Christmas with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My extended family produces way too much trash during the holidays! This Christmas I hope things are different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your idea too, it makes you really think about ways to reduce the garbage at get togethers like these.

    ReplyDelete