Friday, October 23, 2009

Reflections: Weeks 5 & 6

Week 5

Starting week 5 off I  two of the the CSPI eye openers, both of the quizes involed learning about how what I am eating affects the environment, my health, and in the 'score your diet quiz' it also showed my animal welfare score. I also took a look at the 'tour of the food supply' website which had lots of information about slaughter houses, restaurants, etc. It was a great site!
In class we watched, the movie, Future of Food. This video sparked a lof of great conversation, and questions from the class. I couldn't believe how that farmer and his wife lost their farm of 50 years just because they had a few GMO crops in their field that they didn't even know were there! And I also really dislike the fact that manufactures who use GMO foods in their products don't have to tell us!! It raises the question in my mind about what if a seemingly vegetarian food really has parts of genes from animals, would it still be vegetarian? Being vegetarian, I know that I would be really upset to find out there were parts of animal products being used in some of the food I'm eating. Like the mentioned in the movie, a company manufactured a tomato that has part flounder gene in it.

Week 6
I was actually unfortunately sick this past Monday and wasn't able to make it to class. However, I did watch the video 'Diet for a New America.' The part of the movie that showed a tube of blood with a ton of fat in it after a man had eaten a cheese burgur was distgusting!  I also found it interesting that in China only about  %10 of their diet comes from meat, and in America it's about %70. Sick. The section of the video about baby cows and how they are raised in tiny little crates so they can't move so their meat is tender made me so sad.

3 comments:

  1. The Future of Food was definitely a good movie for our class to watch and I really enjoyed the discussion afterward. You raise a good question about animal products being used in vegetarian foods. GMO products just freak me out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well, I found this video to be very eye-opening, and am glad we got the opportunity to watch it!

    ReplyDelete