Monday, December 14, 2009

Advocacy Project: School Lunch Subsidies and Nutrition

Eye-Opener: School Lunch
Purpose: To gain a better undestanding of  political aspects of school lunch.

Background: The 2009 MN legestlator was debating bills that would increase the reimbursements to schools' lunches for low income students.

ANSWER: 
1. What was your school lunch like growing up?
2. Would you consider it as healthy?
3. Do you remember how it was paid for/ by whom?

Read
The following Legistlative Issue Paper written by the Minnesota School Nutrition Association. It summarizes the 2009 issues related to school lunches in Minnesota. This group clearly shows the gap between producing a school lunch and the revenue recieved, a problem that is causing many low-in-come students to not have access to as healthy school lunches.

Nutrition guidlines are mandated by both federal and state government, school lunches are a hot political topic. In an attempt to take some of the politics out of the issue, a group called The Healthy Schools Campaign, which is a independent non-profit organization, is here to help students, parents, and school leaders work to create change at the distric, state, and national level.
The following article in the Chicago Healthy Schools Campaign news letter explains ways to get children to eat healthier lunches, and stresses the importance of increasing funding for school lunch programs. Please read the news letter.

Watch
The following video explains the politics behind school lunch.
The Food Lobby Goes to School

Answer these questions as you watch the video: 
4. What are some obsticles that got in the way of providing American school children with healthy lunches. 

5. What health problems affect American children? Did this surprise you?

6. Consider what you have read and the video you have watched: What do you think is the #1 thing that you think can be done to improve school lunch?

9 comments:

  1. Fun activity,,, that video was SO interesting! I can't believe they have people lobbying at a meeting about school lunch programs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool activity..good job with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Maggie for sharing our information. And great work!

    Mark Bishop
    Healthy Schools Campaign

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide
    credit and sources back to your weblog? My website is in the exact
    same niche as yours and my users would truly benefit from some of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this okay with you. Regards!

    Here is my site; diet Plan for Women

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excеllent pieces. Kееp writing such kind of іnfo on уour site.

    Im really impresѕed by youг blog.

    Hey there, Υou've done a great job. I will certainly digg it and in my opinion suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.

    Visit my web blog :: caffeine free raspberry leaf tea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I blog often аnd I ѕeгiously apprecіate your informatiοn.

    This great article hаs tгuly peakеd
    my intereѕt. I will take a note of your blog and keep checking fοr nеw іnformatiоn аbout
    oncе а week. I opted іn for yοur Feed too.


    Mу blog: credit card debt settlement

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, i think that i saω уou ѵiѕіted mу weblog thus i came to “гeturn the favoг”.

    I am attemptіng to fіnd thingѕ to improve
    my sіte!I suppose its ok tо use a fеw
    of your іdeaѕ!!

    Alsο visit my ωeb-ѕіte - sportѕ bet uѕa lеgal ()

    ReplyDelete
  8. Howԁy! Quicκ question that's entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when viewing from my apple iphone. I'm tryіng tο
    find a thеme or ρlugin that might bе able to fix thіs iѕsue.
    If you have any suggestionѕ, рleasе shaгe.
    Cheers!

    Herе is mу hоmepagе ... sportsbet

    ReplyDelete